SUNDAY 15th MARCH: THIRD SUNDAY OF LENT (YEAR A)
Exodus 17, 3-7; Psalm 94; Romans 5, 1-8; John 4, 5-42
Saturday 6.00 pm: Rowton Methodists: Kathleen O’Brien (L.D., Aldford)
Sunday 9.00 am: St Werburgh’s: Jean & Geoff Hewson (Wedding Anniversary Remembrance)
Sunday 10.45 am: St Werburgh’s: Denis Hickey (Birthday Remembrance)
Sunday 12.30 pm: St Werburgh’s: Baptism of Charlie Francis Collins
Sunday 6.00 pm: St Werburgh’s: Mick Fields
Monday 16th March: Ferial: II Kings 5, 1-15; Psalm 41; Luke 4, 24-30
8.00 am: St Werburgh’s: Ken Jones, Birthday Remembrance
1.05 pm: University Chapel: Catholic Prayer Service today – all welcome!
Tuesday 17th March: St Patrick of Ireland: Jeremiah 1, 4-9; Ps 116; Acts 13, 46-49; Luke 10, 1-20
12.15 pm: St Werburgh’s: Joan Crossley (1st Anniversary) and Intentions of Anwen
2.30 pm: Christleton Churches Together visit to the Sisters of Jesus’s Way, West Kirby
Wednesday 18th March: Ferial: Deuteronomy 4, 1-9; Psalm 147; Matthew 5, 17-19
11.00 am: Grosvenor Manor NH (Heath Lane) – Service for Residents
12.15 pm: St Werburgh’s: Ellen, Patrick and Michael Farrell
2.15 pm: St Thomas, Parkgate Road: Lent Talk to the Mothers’ Union
Thursday 19th March: St Joseph: II Samuel 7, 4-16; Psalm 88; Romans 4, 13-22; Matthew 1, 16-21
8.00 am: St Werburgh’s: Intentions of Chester CathSoc
10.30 am–3.00 pm: University of Salford Faith Centre: Meeting of NW University Catholic Chaplains
Friday 20th March: Ferial: Hosea 14, 2-10; Psalm 80; Mark 12, 28-34
11.00 am – 12.00 noon: St Werburgh’s: Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
12.15 pm: St Werburgh’s: Doreen Nardini
7.30 pm: St Werburgh’s: Stations of the Cross, followed by Exposition till 9.00 pm
Saturday 21st March: Ferial: Hosea 5,15 – 6,6; Psalm 50; Luke 18, 9-14
10.30 am – 12.00 noon: St Werburgh’s: Confessions
12.30 pm: St Werburgh’s: Baptism of Aubrey Rose White
6.00 pm: Rowton Methodists: Joe Berry (L.D., Waverton)
SUNDAY 22nd MARCH: FOURTH SUNDAY OF LENT (YEAR A) – LAETARE SUNDAY
I Samuel 16, 1-13; Psalm 22; Ephesians 5, 8-14; John 9, 1-41
Saturday 6.00 pm: Rowton Methodists: Joe Berry (L.D., Waverton)
Sunday 9.00 am: St Werburgh’s: Marie and John Keegan (Anniversaries)
Sunday 10.45 am: St Werburgh’s: Intentions of Calum, Jess and Samuel
Sunday 6.00 pm: St Werburgh’s: Rebecca Coriam – 22nd March 2011
Your prayers are asked for the following who are sick: Pauline Hackett, Kerry Woodbury, Tina Johnson, Laura Chadwick, Elisabeth, Stuart Clark, Keith Hayes, Sheila Winder, James Catterson, Joe and Ruth O’Kane, Henri Diacono, James Donovan, Garth Stocking and Kevin Maguire; and for all the sick of the Parish; and for those who have died recently, especially Anne Moore and Kevin Smyth; and for those whose anniversaries occur about this time: Barbara McClean, Annie Owens, Essie Lawrie, Daniel Hogan, Frederick Mercer, Linda Wynne, Oscar Dubussy-Durgan, Dolly Huxley, Rita Williams, Patrick Walsh, Thomas Smith, Maria Bannister, Donald Tilston, William Paton, Karen Ash, Arthur Hedges, Mary Partington, Arthur Wright, Ted Finney, James Moore, Sarah Chamberlain, Peter Heaney, Magda Cumberford, Wendy Moore and Bill Dobbins. RIP.
Bishops of England & Wales: Statement on Coronavirus Monday 9th March 2020
- To suspend distribution of the Holy Communion under both kinds; the Host to be received in the hand only.
- Exercise the greatest care when giving Holy Communion in the hand to ensure you do not touch the hands of the recipient.
- Suspend the physical sign of peace.
- Remove holy water from all stoups.
- Cease the veneration of relics by physical contact and the public veneration of the Cross on Good Friday should not be undertaken by kissing or any physical contact.
- Advise the most vulnerable to refrain from large parish gatherings.
- Cease to use collection plates which are passed from hand to hand.
- Cease to use hymn books and hand missals.
- Ask everyone attending Mass to sanitise their hands as they come into church using sanitized gel dispensers where possible.
- Ensure good hygiene at Mass and parish gatherings.
- Ensure the very regular cleaning of all surfaces which people touch regularly (ideally clean door hands before and after every Mass).
- Ensure that any extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion before and after assisting with the distribution of Holy Communion should wash their hands before proceeding to the sanctuary or discreetly use good quality hand gel.
- When visiting parishioners wash your hands before giving the Sacraments. Offer phone support to parishioners who are self-isolating. Do not make pastoral visits until the period of self-isolating ends.
- Visits to Care Homes or Hospitals should be undertaken following the advice from the staff on infection control.
- Suspend catering at parish gatherings (coffee, tea etc) where multiple people may touch mugs, utensils, biscuits etc.
No University Mass in the University Chapel
The Vice-Chancellor has instructed that, owing to the coronavirus outbreak, there are to be no more Eucharists, Anglican or Catholic, in the University Chapel until further notice. We will continue to have a Prayer Service at that time.
Welsh Railways Trip: Nine Places Left!
Wednesday 6th May: 39 of the 48 places have been booked. So, if you were one of our “Expressions of Interest” Priority Bookings, get your form and cheque in before next weekend.
Churches Together in Christleton Lent 2020
- 17th March: Sisters of Jesus Way West Kirby (20)
- 24th March: Gladstone’s Library, Hawarden
- 31st March: Franciscans at Pantasaph.
Our Mission Together Day Chapel
Open for your inspection throughout Lent. Go in by the door next to the organ or through the Sacristy – and there is a Questionnaire we’d like you to take away and complete to give us your views on its future use.
CathSoc Tonight – Stations of the Cross
Last CathSoc of the Spring Term, meeting again after the hols on Sunday 19th April for post-hols Cake and Catch-Up. Thursday is our twice-yearly North-West Chaplains Meeting, this time at Salford University.
Catholic High School Parents & Friends
Swing Band Dance Night. An evening of fun and musical entertainment at the annual PFA Dance Night with the school’s very own City Jazz Orchestra. Friday 27th March, 7.30 pm until late, in the School Hall. Free entrance. Donations welcome. Bar open.
Parish Council Meeting on Wednesday
Finance Committee on Tuesday
Both key meetings, with Parish Finances the tightest they’ve been in recent years. Any items for discussion, please let us know.
Next meeting of the Readers' Group
Monday 16th March at 7.00 pm in the Parish House for about an hour. We look at the Sunday readings for the next month up to Easter. All very welcome.
Three Important Gift Aid Notices
- Tax Status – IMPORTANT - If you no longer pay income tax, please let Fr Paul or Denise Jones know by 5th April, or it will be assumed that you have paid sufficient income tax for the Parish to claim Gift Aid on your donations for tax year 2019/20. Thank you.
- Change of Address. Please let us know if you have changed your home address in the last 12 months.
- Offertory Envelopes 2020/21 – REMINDER -
If you have not yet collected your box, please take it as soon as possible. Thank you.
Joining the Gift Aid Scheme
If you pay income tax, joining the Gift Aid scheme increases the value of your donations to the Parish by 25% at no extra cost to you. Interested in joining the scheme? Please contact Fr Paul or Denise Jones.
Holy Week Ministers Rota – Calling Volunteers!
Out now. Please sign up for these vital ministries.
First Holy Communion Meetings for March
Monday 16th March at 7.00 pm in the Primary School: POSTPONED owing to staff illness at school.
Please let us know your child’s FHC date, if you haven’t done so. Monday 23rd March at 6.30 pm in St Werburgh’s Church: Commentary Mass for FHC children and their families.
CAFOD Lent Fast Day Envelopes: Back of Church
SVP Holiday Home at Talacre
Contact Stephen Perry on 07775-781-204. SVP Holiday Home in Talacre Beach, North Wales is available without charge to any local individual, couple or family that would otherwise not be able.
Music Group playing Today, Sunday 15th March.
Stations of the Cross During Lent: Fridays, 7.30
- 20th March: Pat.
- 27th: Denise.
- 3rd April: Christine.
Angelus Prayer Cards Free at Back of Church
Photo of the Week: Our Lady’s Ichikawa
Destroyed by bombing in the last War and rebuilt after the war on a new site. Thanks, Tommy!